Enrolling a Student at YRCS
The Yuba River Charter School is nonsectarian in its programs, admissions policies, employment practices, and all other operations. YRCS is a public school and will not charge tuition and will not discriminate against any pupil on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, gender, disability, or any other basis protected by law.
1st Step: Attend a Parent Information Meeting (PIM)
All parents and/or guardians interested in enrolling a child into Yuba River Charter School are invited to attend one of our monthly Parent Information Meetings (PIMs). These meetings are not for enrolling a child into the Little Creek Nursery Program (see Nursery/Preschool Enrollment page). Attending a PIM is required before receiving an Application for Enrollment into our K-8 and Home Study programs. During this meeting you will learn about the history of Yuba River Charter School, the philosophy and educational approach of a public Waldorf curriculum, the operational structure of YRCS, as well as enjoy a guided tour of our classrooms as you see the teachers and students engaged in daily activities.
Up Coming Parent Information Meetings – Meetings are from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. (unless otherwise noted)
- March 14, 2017
- April 4, 2017
- May 9, 2017
- June 20, 2017
- August 8, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- October 10, 2017
- November 14, 2017
- December 12, 2017
- January 9, 2018 – evening meeting 5:00pm – 6:30pm
- February 13, 2018
- March 13, 2018
- April 10, 2018
- May 8, 2018
- June 19, 2018
Parent Information Meetings are held in the YRCS school library at 505 Main Street, Nevada City, CA.
We ask that you reserve a space to attend a PIM. These meetings are for parents only. We ask that children stay home or with a caregiver, so that adults can fully participate in the meeting and presentation. To register please call 530-265-6060 ext. 102 or email email@example.com.
Enrollment Process & Lottery: Beginning to End
Per state law, Yuba River Charter School may enroll students from Nevada and contiguous counties including Sierra, Yuba and Placer County. Beginning the 2017/18 school year residents of Grass Valley School District receive priority over non-residents. Per state requirement Nevada County residents receive priority over non-residents. STEPS to enrolling at YRCS…..
- Attend a Parent Information Meeting “PIM” .
- Receive an application for enrollment after attending a PIM.
- Complete and submit an Application for Enrollment and Parent Agreement, which includes agreement to volunteer and participate in your child’s education. Applications must be submitted within 1 year of attending a PIM.
- For your application to be considered please attach:
- Vaccine documentation – up to date records or a medical waiver
- Proof of residency – two documents
- Copy of birth certificate
- Applications are always accepted and held until the next lottery process.
- Applications are placed in priority categories* and a random public drawing “lottery” is held to determine placement within each priority category.
- For kindergarten families, parents are invited to attend A Day in the Life of Kindergarten in the spring.
- When an applicant is next on the current lottery list they will be contacted and a classroom visit will be offered.**
- It is in the best interest of the student for the parent(s) and teacher to meet prior to the child’s first day of attendance. If the parent(s) want to have a meeting with the teacher, an intake meeting will be scheduled. These meetings may take place prior to or after the first day of school. YRCS no longer requires a teacher & parent meeting prior to enrolling a student.
*It is the responsibility of the Parent Applicant to inform YRCS as to a child’s Enrollment Priority.
** If an applicant declines the offer of placement they will be moved to the bottom of the waiting list. After a second decline of placement they must reapply to be eligible for the next lottery process.
Annual Open Enrollment Periods/Application Deadlines for Lottery Periods
- August: 2 weeks before first day of school (Grades & Kindergarten) / Lottery Date: 1 week before first day of school
- December 10 (Grades & Kindergarten)/ Lottery Date: December 15
- February 1 (Little Creek Preschool) / Lottery Date: February 15
- March 1 (Kindergarten Programs) / Lottery Date: March 15
- April 10 (Grades) / Lottery Date: April 15
See the Enrollment Policy/ Proof of Residency Policy and Enrollment Policy Little Creek Nursery 2-18-15 for full information on priority categories, lottery dates and procedures as information on this website does not supersede any approved policy or procedure.
Little Creek Nursery (License #293608312), Tax ID# 90-0396681
The Yuba River Charter School admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs. YRCS enrolls non-citizens and will accept non-U.S. documents, including birth records or other acceptable documentation. Contact Susan Egan for concerns regarding our Title IX compliance, firstname.lastname@example.org, 265-6060 x106