Enrolling a Student at YRCS
The Yuba River Charter School is nonsectarian in its programs, admissions policies, employment practices, and all other operations. YRCS is a public school and will not charge tuition and will not discriminate against any pupil on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, gender, disability, or any other basis protected by law.
Parent Info Meetings (PIMs):
All parents and/or guardians interested in enrolling a child into Yuba River Charter School are invited to attend one of our monthly Parent Information Meetings (PIMs). These meetings are not for enrolling a child into the Little Creek Nursery Program (see Nursery/Preschool Enrollment page). Attending a PIM is required before receiving an Application for Enrollment into our K-8 and Home Study programs. During this meeting you will learn about the history of Yuba River Charter School, the philosophy and educational approach of a public Waldorf curriculum, the operational structure of YRCS, as well as enjoy a guided tour of our classrooms as you see the teachers and students engaged in daily activities.
Up-Coming Parent Information Meetings – Meetings are from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. (unless otherwise noted)
- August 11, 2014
- September 8, 2014
- October 6, 2014
- November 17, 2014
- December 15, 2014
- January 12, 2015
- February 9, 2015 (last before kindergarten lottery)
- March 2, 2015 (evening event from 6:00-7:30 pm)
- April 13, 2015
- May 11, 2015
Parent Information Meetings are held in the YRCS school library at 505 Main Street, Nevada City, CA.
We ask that you reserve a space to attend a PIM. These meetings are for parents only. We ask that children stay home or with a caregiver, so that adults can fully participate in the meeting and presentation. To register please call 530-265-6060 ext. 102 or email Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrollment Process & Lottery: Beginning to End
Per state law, Yuba River Charter School may enroll students from Nevada and contiguous counties including Sierra, Yuba and Placer County. Per state requirement Nevada County residents receive priority over non-residents. STEPS to enrolling at YRCS…..
- Attend a Parent Information Meeting .
- Receive an application for enrollment after completing a PIM.
- Complete and submit an Application for Enrollment and Parent Agreement, which includes agreement to volunteer and participate in your child’s education. Applications must be submitted within 1 year of attending a PIM.
- Applications are always accepted and held until the next lottery process.
- Applications are placed in priority categories* and a random public drawing “lottery” is held to determine placement within each priority category.
- Applicants hold and retain placement on the lottery list in perpetuity and roll over from year to year and each lottery list will be exhausted prior to utilizing a later dated lottery list.
- A parent must attend A Day in the Life of Kindergarten before an offer of placement will be extended. This takes the place of a classroom visit listed under #8 unless the opening is after the start of the school year. FOR KINDERGARTEN ENTRY ONLY.
- When an applicant is next on the current lottery list they will be contacted and a classroom visit will be scheduled.**
- An in-take process is also required for all new incoming applicants before formally enrolling into YRCS.
*It is the responsibility of the Parent Applicant to inform YRCS as to a child’s Enrollment Priority.
** If an applicant declines the offer of placement they must reapply to be eligible for the next lottery process.
Annual Open Enrollment Periods/Application Deadlines for Lottery Periods
- February 1 (Little Creek Preschool) / Lottery Date: February 15
- March 1 (Kindergarten Programs) / Lottery Date: March 15
- April 10 (Grades) / Lottery Date: April 15
- August 10 (Grades) / Lottery Date: August 15
- December 10 (Grades) / Lottery Date: December 15
See the Enrollment Policy 6.9.14 and Little Creek Enrollment Policy for full information on priority categories, lottery dates and procedures as information on this website does not supersede any approved policy or procedure.
The Yuba River Charter School admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.